domingo, 4 de febrero de 2018

Summer in the pond


Summer depresses me: the unbearable heat makes me feel sad and stressed... from  november to march/april staying in the air-conditioning is my top priority (I keep my bedroom at an arctic temperature) this means the garden falls into almost complete neglect. I only water the roses and some potted plants at night from time to time but the lives of most of my plants are ruled by “survival of the fittest” during summer months. Fortunately there is never shortage of rain here. In the pond the water lilies - unlike me - enjoy the summer and thrive in the heat. It's been a great year for my favourite water lily: Gloire du Temple sur Lot (Aka the Queen of the pond) she sent up a new flower last week when heat was at its highest, this time the flower was perfect, not shrivelled!

Day 1


Day 2


Day 3


The princess of the pond finally blommed last weeek: "Lily Pons" this gorgeous nymphaea was created by the american hibridizer Perry Slocum in 1992. She is a direct descendant of Gloire du Temple sur lot.



Lindsey Woods, a tropical purple lily



Golden west


Red star


Blushing bride, a stunning lily


Sasaki pink


Perry's fire opal


Perry's cactus pink, the small flower with narrow petals resembles a cactus bloom


This white lily might be Gonnere


Mayla



Barbara Dobbins


Perry's viviparous pink


Visited by a bee!



See you next time!

15 comentarios:

  1. What a treasure your water lilies! I love double ones and your "Lily Pons" is stunning. I see you have many tropical nymphaeas and in my pond there are the hardy ones only. They are sleeping under the pond ice now.
    Have a nice new week, MDN!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Nadezda, I love double water lilies, they are my favourite kind of lilies. The tropical water lilies have simple flowers and I don't like them much, I think I'll give them away to make room for more hardy double lilies.

      Eliminar
  2. Your pond looks big! Whether it is or not, it supports a large number of gorgeous lilies. I can appreciate your feelings about summer - we're forced to restrict our gardening to the early morning and late afternoon hours here too during the summer months.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Kris, I can't wait till summer is over I miss my camellias and want to see my roses without scorched flower...patience is paramount in gardening.. sigh!

      Eliminar
  3. Hola MDN, siento que te agobie el calor, pero por lo que veo en tus hermosas fotos tus plantas están felices y se ven hermosas, son espectaculares. Besos.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Lola, gracias por tu visita! La verdad el verano me drena de energía y voluntad pero los nenúfares están en su elemento, más calor más flores dan! Ojalá las rosas y las peonias fuesen así! Saludos!

      Eliminar
  4. I feel with you, MDN! I also don't like extremly hot temperatures. But your water lilies look like a dream. Some years I also had one water lily in my pond, but it blossomed only the first year. In the meantime I gave up on trying to cultivate a water lily.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Sigrid heat depletes me, makes me sad, irritable, depressed.. but water lilies love the heat, the hotter the better for them they bloom a lot when heat peaks and the pond seems to boil, perhaps in your area the summer is too short with many cloudy days or they didn't get enough sun in your pond, they adore sun.

      Eliminar
  5. Your waterlils are all so beautiful, I can't pick a favourite...
    I hope you cope better with the heat,

    Hugs, Ida

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Ida, thanks for your comment. Water lilies are indeed beautiful plants, I love the very double varieties in particular. Greetings!

      Eliminar
  6. What a stunning water lily it is ,I am envious since I dont have this color of waterlily

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Arun, thanks for visiting my blog! when I began to grow water lilies I wanted to have all colors but now the pond is too full! Greetings!

      Eliminar
  7. Your waterlilies are stunning, like some glossy magazine displaying the finest varieties. As for the heat, well a dose of heat would go a long way here in the UK and winter, particularly the dark days, makes me depressed.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Ian, thanks for visiting my blog! Water lilies are fantastic plants and fortunately they like the local climate with its long blazing summers and short warm winters, I wish peonies were like them! Warm sunny days are nice , granted, but here the heat is unbearable in summers with temps over 40 c for weeks, good for water lilies but not so good for me! Greetings

      Eliminar
  8. Hello! I have never seen such beautiful pond lily blooms! They must be soothing in your summer heat. Happy GBBD!

    ResponderEliminar