viernes, 12 de enero de 2018

Queen of the pond

This is the moment I've been waiting all year for! The Queen of the pond has bloomed, this variety is a very shy bloomer, but the flowers more than make up for any wait as you can see.


This lily, named 'Glory of Le Temple sur Lot' after the french Village where her creator - Joseph Bory Latour-Marliac - lived, was a sensation when it was introduced in 1913.


This beautiful lady has big,  unusual chrysanthenum shell-pink double blooms with over 100 petals, the few other extremly double lilies that exist today wouldn't come along for another 70 years


This variety is also one of a handful that can send up both pure white and pure pink flowers.


She is the Queen of the pond and considered by many to be Marliac’s ultimate hybrid and the most beautiful hardy waterlily in existence. Unfortunately I could not take pictures of the second and third day of this bloom because of the rain (Second and third day blooms resemble a Victoria cruciana blossom, only they are much smaller) I promise new pictures when she blooms again!


I hope the New Year has started well for you! see you next time!

11 comentarios:

  1. What a delicate pink! Congratulation on encouraging the shy lady to make an appearance!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Kris,the queen of the pond is indeed a shy lady, there are some other members of her royal family in the pond who look much like her for their look and shyness! You'll see them here when they decide to make their appearances.

      Eliminar
  2. Queen of the Pond is delightful. Love that pretty pink color. P. x

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Pam, this water lily is one of my favorites,I wish it was more free-flowering than it is!

      Eliminar
  3. Thanks for your New Year wishes, MDN! I wish you also a happy new year 2018.
    Your garden and your pond must look beautiful these days. I wish I could see this splendor right now in person. But I must confess, I wouldn't like the hot weather. I prefer the German climate.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Sigrid, the truth in these hot months my garden looks at its worst...heat depressed me, I don't feel like doing anything and gardening is the last thing I want to do when temperatures approach and surpass the 40s C, I only water the roses to keep them alive untill cooler days arrive in late march.. but I am now neglecting the rest of the garden activities like mowing the lawn or planting new plants... everything is a torture with this heat. Only the pond looks nice because water lilies love heat, sun and rain. I should definitely move to southern argentina where winters are snowy and tulips and peonies grow untroubled!

      Eliminar
  4. Oh MDN, right now I would love to give you some of the rain we get here. Yesterday a bad hurricane ranged over Germany. My rose Laguna stands in a pond and can easily compete with your lilies now. The lawn feels like a wet sponge. It wasn't fun at all to walk the dog. Temperatures are about 0°C. It's not that cold for winter, but winter is not yet over.
    Wish you a nice weekend!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Sigrid I wish you send over some cold temperatures! I - just like my poor rose- must endure this season untill fall brings nicer ,cooler days.

      Eliminar
  5. Love to have an interesting story to support a beautiful flower.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. It's easy to see why this beauty would cause such a commotion at her introduction!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. There comes a point when a plant can't be improved on and here is one. Perfect pink and form. I have added you to my own blog.

    ResponderEliminar