sábado, 19 de mayo de 2018

The garden of my dreams

There is not much going on in my garden at the moment, the rain is back and everything looks damp and sad, most roses are horribly defoliated and the weeds took over... without chances of gardening and bored because of the rain I was watching gardening videos on YouTube when I found this:


I don't understand danish but isn't the rose garden a beauty? Searching for more information I found that Claus Dalby is a famed gardener in Scandinavia who has published many succesful books in Europe, there is a nice article about him here . Claus also has his own blog which contains a lot of photos about his gorgeous garden with roses, peonies, tulips and other temperate climate beauties. If that holds no interest for you, you can skip ahead. If you like cool climate gardening, visit the site here (and book your ticket to Denmark!)



See you next time!

8 comentarios:

  1. Sorry to hear that your weather remains awful! Scandinavia is indeed a different world but remember that they have long, cold winters.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Kris, I never had to deal with extreme cold in my garden but I think I'd like to have long winters and a shorter growing season provided that the plants I like grow in my garden. I think I'd only miss my camellias. Wish you a great week!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hello MDN,

    I have read his blog for years, and a friend of mine have been in his garden. It's very beautiful. Yes, we have a cold winter here in Norway where I live, but we can also grow many roses. It depends just what kind of roses you will grow. English roses don't thrive so well here. It's too cold in the winther.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Marit, I really fell in love with that garden, it's absolutely the image of the garden of my dreams, an impossible dream because I could never replicate that plantation in my climate. As for roses they don't like neither too hot nor too cold, here it's a bit too hot for them most of the year.

      Eliminar
  4. I watched this video, MDN and I see the garden is beautiful. But I understand the reality that in my cold climate as Marit's, I never can grow some varieties even I like them very much. I prefer hardy kinds of roses, strong to diseases and to rain.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Nadezda, I definitely live in zonal denial, I should move to somewhere colder to finally have the garden of my dreams. Roses in general seem to dislike both extremes, too much cold and too much heat are bad for them. There are only a handful of rose varieties that actually thrive in my garden, others survive but never look great always struggling with diseases and getting burned by the sun.

      Eliminar
  5. Yes, I also read an article about Claus Dalby in a magazine. His garden must look like a dream.
    I wish we would get a lot of rain finally. Right now all over Germany rain is falling down, but not onto my little spot - at least nearly nothing. 3 days some rain in two months!
    It's nowhere totally perfect!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Sigrid, I am totally in love with that garden, it's the image of my gardening dreams, sadly I could never replicate that planting here in my climate, I'd trade my ten months growing season for the two or three months of splendour that northern gardens have. Have a great weekend!

      Eliminar